Tuesday

Breakfast


A little road side cafe in south of Turkey

When I was working 24/7 the breakfast was the biggest luxury. Some stolen mornings having breakfast at the corner cafe with my sister was truly special. That was back in Istanbul. Since I am in SA and not working, week days breakfast is a must thanks to F. He would never leave for work before having his toast and marmalade. Oh and 2 cups of Earl Grey with milk of course! The corner cafes and my sister are parts of my Turkish life which I still enjoy big time when I am back for holidays. Toast is OK but marmalade is NO NO in my book. Anything cooked with orange is NO NO in fact. They say that I cook the best "duck" a l'orange. I simply follow the recipe because I never tasted the sauce. Anyway you will witness more of my antics along the line. Let's go back to the breakfast. My favorite breaky would be the big Turkish "village breakfast". Here is the list:
A local cheese platter, black olives, sour cherry jam, butter, honey and traditional fresh cream with walnuts, tomato and pepper scrambled eggs "menemen", watermelon or grapes all accompanied by very freshly baked warm white bread and "simit" sort of a bagel with sesame seeds. Oh it's heaven! So what do I do? When ever I have time and enough participant around I replicate those heavenly breakfasts. Still trying to convert South Africans...

No comments:

Post a Comment